Sara's Favorite October Picks!

Friday, March 18, 2016

TODDLER & CHILD: THE MAGIC OF FLOWER ARRANGING


Dear friends,

Whether you have boys or girls, toddlers or school-aged children, I firmly believe that there is a beautiful reason that nature seems to touch each of us deeply. For some, it's the crunching of leaves, falling snow, the sound of the waves or the sand under our feet. Maybe it's lying in grass or finding animals in clouds or even just sitting on a porch listening to a rain storm...whatever it is...it's wonderful and magical. As we are entering Spring, the earth is waking up and flowers are beginning to bloom. One of my favorite things my husband did for me a couple of years ago was to create a cutting garden for me because I just love having fresh flowers in the house. It's small and perfect. There is a variety of different little flowers growing in there and there has been nothing better than allowing my child to be a part of it with me. If you have even just pots or a small space to create a flower garden, I highly encourage it. Flower arranging is calming & therapeutic and it's a wonderful way for toddlers and children to be creative and feel independent. 



We gather them in a basket together and I give her as much choice and freedom with it as possible. Last year she wasn't old enough to work with any kind of scissors, but this year she will be able to help "safely" cut them with me. We put three different jars or vases out with water in them on one of her tables so that she can easily access everything. 



I let her go with it! She has freedom to choose which flowers in which jar and how many and so on...she absolutely loves it! She chooses where they go in the house and carries them there herself. Again, it's just a simple way of allowing them creative freedom and they will be so proud of their accomplishment. Even a school-aged child would love this. They can put it in their own room...or give to someone as a gift. Boys can be creative with it too...flowers if they want or add in some ferns or sticks or whatever you might be able to find so they can CREATE! It doesn't have to be just flowers to make an awesome arrangement out of nature!


Cut some flowers, do some filling of jars and then enjoy a glass of Lavender Lemonade outside! See my previous post for the recipe HERE!

No comments: