Sara's Favorite October Picks!

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

BLUEBERRY WAFFLES & HOMEMADE SYRUP ~ GLUTEN & DAIRY FREE!



Dear friends, 

Homemade blueberry waffles are a favorite for a lot of families & kids. I have created a gluten & dairy-free version everyone will love and you will never turn back from! I'm also adding a special syrup recipe for you! The recipe for the waffles themselves are actually the very same recipe as my pancakes! It works perfectly either way! Hurray for versatile recipes! So, you make the batter and you can't decide...pancake or waffle? Doesn't matter! Do one, do both! 

So I have an old-school Belgian Waffle iron...as in, the one I grew up with, which is why it looks so old and worn... it is. But I LOVE this iron, because unlike a lot of waffle irons these days that have the creases in them to divide into four waffles or mini waffles...this just make one big, fat, fluffy, awesome waffle!! And that's my dish! If I wanted a tiny waffle, I'd get a frozen one...not this one! Either way you like it though, it will work on your iron!


**VERY IMPORTANT - I USE DUCK EGG WHICH RENDERS A MUCH LIGHTER AND FLUFFIER BAKED GOOD THAN CHICKEN EGG** USING CHICKEN EGG MIGHT NOT BE THE VERY SAME**

Blueberry Waffles (Gluten & Dairy-Free)

1/4 cup - Moon Rabbit Cassava Flour
1/4 cup - Bob's Red Mill Tapioca Flour *My FAVORITE ONE*
(But you can the Gluten-Free mix too instead of the tapioca)
1 Tbsp - Bob's Red Mill Coconut Flour
1/4 tsp - sea salt
1tsp - baking powder
1/2 tsp - organic sugar
1/4 tsp - pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup - organic rice milk
1 Tbsp - melted coconut oil
2 DUCK EGGS OR 4 CHICKEN EGGS


It will difficult for me to direct you exactly on the amount of batter to use because every waffle iron will be different in size and depth. I use about 2/3 cup for a full waffle in mine...but that's mine...and it's big. Probably start with 1/2 cup of batter and go from there! Better to have a smaller waffle first then have half of it spill out onto your counter as it cooks.

You can oil it with whatever you like. Many times I'll butter it, but you can use coconut oil too so the waffle doesn't stick!


Blueberry-Vanilla-Cardamom Syrup

1 cup - organic frozen blueberries
1 tbsp - coconut oil
1 tsp - raw honey (put in last so you don't heat the nutrients out)
1/4 tsp - vanilla extract (I use homemade)
1 cardamom pod (grind the seeds and add the grounds only) OR 1 pinch of ground cardamom
1/2 tsp  - arrowroot powder or cornstarch (I like arrowroot best)

Heat the blueberries, oil and cardamom and vanilla and then add 1/2 tsp of the arrowroot and mix until smooth. If you want a thicker syrup, just keep adding arrowroot 1/4 tsp at a time until you get it the way you want. I like arrowroot best because it dissolves really well and it easily digestible.

Add the honey last once the syrup has cooled just slightly. You want to keep all of those lovely, raw nutrients alive in your honey!!

Enjoy my friends!!! Happy waffling!!!!!

No comments: