Sara's Favorite October Picks!

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

EASIEST HOMEMADE ALMOND MILK & NUT-FREE MILKS!!!

Dear friends,

I didn't try making my own almond milk for what seemed like forever. Why? I don't know exactly. It seemed daunting, too many steps, too difficult, something! Anyway, I'm just glad I finally gave it a go. It was one of those things that once I did it, I was like, "Was that it?"

I will tell you this to make it easier on you now. I tried it at first with a stainless steel strainer even though I had read up on the Nut Milk Bags...go with the bag! Sooooo much easier, soooo much quicker, soooo much creamier! The one I use is below...

                              

Homemade almond milk is fresh, full of flavor and completely additive free (unlike the store bought brands). Also, with fresh almond milk you actually get all of the nutritional benefits of the almonds themselves!

Okay, so here is how I do mine in just a few simple steps:

1. Soak 1 cup of raw almonds in filtered water overnight (at least for 12 hours...this release enzymes so that it is easily digestible).


2. Drain the water and dump the almonds in a great blender (I use a Ninja)


3. Fill it up with 3 cups of filtered water & blend for at least 3-5 minutes until it's nice and white and and pulp-ish looking.


4. Pour it all through the nut milk bag into a container with a large opening and strain out as much as possible.


5. Add 1-3 more cups of water depending on how thick you want it (I transfer it to a huge mason jar and usually add 3 more to make 6 cups and shake it up)


6. Store in fridge for around 5 days.

*You can add honey or a sweetener if you need one, but we just do ours unsweetened and plain. And of course you can half the recipe or quarter it if you need less!

7. Use the fresh pulp for these yummy snack balls for you and your kiddos. Recipe for these coming soon!


Happy almond milk making! You will never want to just buy it at the store again once you taste how fresh it is and see how easy it is!

No comments: