Sara's Favorite October Picks!

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

OUR CUSTOM PLAY KITCHEN!


Dear friends,

Last year I finally had the opportunity to use a great and super cheap piece of furniture that I'd found at a yard sale a couple of years back. I knew when I saw it that I might be able to create some kind of play kitchen from it because it already had a nice opening in the side for storage and a little pull-out piece that I imagined could be an island or cutting board. So my husband and I put our creative skills and wood-working skills together and came up with a play kitchen for our girl that we are very proud of. It's customized just for her with all of the little things I knew she would love using. I made felt foods for her to play with and created little additions like her own recipe box and so on. Needless to say, she LOVED it! I realize that you don't always stumble upon a cheap item you can use for such a project...and perhaps you don't feel you have the creativity in you to make one. But may I encourage you to try? It doesn't have to be elaborate. It can be made from a cardboard box and a bowl and scrap fabric if you want. Whatever you choose to do though, enjoy it and your child will too! They thrive off of challenges and imagination...the more constructive they are allowed to be, the more you will see them blossom in so many areas! If nothing else though, I hope that our project may inspire you to give your own child more creative play options if you don't already!!


We love tea parties around here, so it only felt appropriate to have a lovely little English-inspired kitchen to work out of! I used a thin piece of wood I had and used Modge Podge to adhere my Rose and Crown sign (which I designed and printed on paper through my computer) to it and wood burnt the edges to create an old look. Cardboard, paint, glue and a little piece of clock fabric I already had made the clock on the top! The base piece of the kitchen is what I found at the yard sale. My husband cut into the front and we created a little chalkboard cabinet so that she easily access her pots and pans.


Our toaster oven came with a rack that we have never needed to use...until NOW!!! It worked perfectly as her oven rack! So glad I kept that! Another cut square in the front and an old 5x7 glass frame served as the oven door! I even found a little touch light at the Dollar Store for the oven light.


This little teapot is one of the few things I didn't have laying around. I found it at an antique store by chance and couldn't have asked for a more perfect kettle for her little kitchen! My husband cut a circle into the top of the base and we used a small Wilton cake pan for the sink, a painted wooden peg for the faucet handle and a painted letter "J" (turned upside down) for the faucet!


I used little plywood pieces I found at the craft store for the shelving and added them to the back of a framed, burlap canvas I had.


I found this adorable pink basket for $1 at the Dollar Store to hang her "produce" in!


Felt tea cup, plate and bagel!


I used ticking stripe fabric and canvas I had to make a little tea towel and apron for her.



Mmmm...little felt pastries! I made this little stand for around 69 cents out of two wooden items I found at the craft store! Just a little paint, glue and lace!




All in all, I only actually spent around $25 to create her kitchen since I had so many little random and scrap things around to use. You can do it too!! Remember, you can use an old box, a trunk, bowls, towels, cans and spoons you may already have. Even if it doesn't turn out like the dream kitchen you wanted...just let your child explore and imagine!! It will be a kitchen to them...or anything they dream it up to be that day!


No comments: