Sara's Favorite October Picks!

Monday, July 4, 2016

THEM BONES, THEM BONES....THEIR AMAZING PROPERTIES!

*QUICK UPDATE* The Health Nut in Wyndhurst now carries Bone Broth from grass-fed cows in jars in their refrigerated section!!! Now if you don't have time or don't want to try making it yourself, just slide over there and grab and jar and heat it!!!

Dear friends,

I must deeply apologize for my long, long delay in posting! Between my very busy photography schedule, creating a brand new website and of course, every day domestic duties... I had to hit the pause button on a few things!

Today though, I am delighted to share with you something that you may or may not be familiar with. The powerful properties of the BONE! No doubt you have heard when it comes to cancer, often times patients need marrow donors. I'm here to shed some basic light on the needs of our own bodies and how we can utilize the power of beef bones to assist them.

WHY DO WE NEED BONE MARROW? Simply stated...our cells and platelets depend on our bone marrow. It creates the white cells we need to fend off things, the red cells we need for oxygen and if we didn't have platelets then we couldn't stop bleeding...marrow builds these cells and our platelets in a big way.

HOW CAN BEEF BONES HELP OUR BODIES? The marrow found in beef bones are loaded not only with fat, but with collagen and stem cells...rebuilding intestinal lining and damaged tissues. The collagen repair helps with bruising, bleeding and more. In short, it REPAIRS our bodies where they need repairing most.

You may be thinking that bone marrow sounds pretty gross. How in the world does one consume bone marrow without gagging and so on. Well, I'm here to tell you friends that consuming bone marrow is easy and delicious and your body will begin it's healing treatment from the inside out almost immediately.

BONE OPTIONS: BONE BROTH and ROASTED BONE MARROW (there are always other things too, but these are quite effective and delicious).

BONE BROTH: Bone broth is SOOOOO easy to make. Simply purchase marrow bones (ask for MARROW bones specifically since marrow bones are cut in a certain way) from your local farmer's market, beef farm or butcher. Throw the bones right into a huge pot of filtered water and you can go as simple or as complex as you like with it from there. I know folks who just do the bones and water and cook it down all day long and drink the broth like that, or use the broth in a stew. I also know folks who add all kinds of goodness to the broth while it's cooking like fresh ginger, carrots, leeks, garlic, meat, peas, spices, etc. It's really whatever you want it to be. It's the healing power of the marrow that has now been cooked down through the water that you will consume ultimately and everything else will simply be a bonus!! It is a HUGE boost to your immune system all year long!

ROASTED BONE MARROW: One day, I decided I was finally just going to try it. I had heard of it, but I felt timid. I made bone broth all the time, but had never just roasted bones and tried to do something with the marrow. How does that work?! Well, almost as easy as the broth! There is a fantastic link for bone roasting HERE, but I will include what I do as well. Below is an image of bones I've prepared just before putting them into the oven to roast.



One small marrow bone per person is plenty. You don't need to overload on it. Although, it's healing properties are high, so is it's fat content.

- Soak the bones in salted water for at least 4-6 hours to allow the salt to draw the blood out of the marrow (I just do this in the morning and throw it in the fridge).

- Place the bones onto a foil-lined pan or onto a cast iron pan so that a marrow side is facing up (you'll know what I mean when you see them).

-Sprinkle with the spices you want. I use pink salt, pepper, garlic powder and oregano.

Roast at 400F for around 15-25 minutes depending on your oven and the size of the bones. You'll know they are ready when the marrow is bubbling up at the top of the bone. I also test it by putting a meat thermometer or skewer through the marrow. If it's hard to stick it through, it's not done. When it is ready, it should go through just like it's going through butter.

In fact, the roasted bone marrow really is like a seasoned butter in consistency. When it's done you simply scoop out the seasoned marrow from one bone and spread it over a piece of toast or thick bread or whatever you like. Use it like a spread and truly think of it as a butter, since it's so fatty. Spread out over toast, it is delicious! We love to have a slice each in our home with a bowl of soup and a veggie! Even my toddler LOVES it! "More marrow and bread!"

I take my left over roasted bones and then throw them into a pot of water and still make broth. The best of both worlds! I've used my broth to make homemade stuffing at Thanksgiving, put into a crockpot with a roast and so on! I even cook my daughter's rice penne pasta down in bone broth so it's literally soaked up with all of it's goodness!

Now go out and get some beef bones and begin healing your bodies!!!

xoxo,
Sara

No comments: