Sara's Favorite October Picks!

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

BREAST-FEEDING A BABY WITH SEVERE FOOD ALLERGIES!


Dear friends,

At a glance, this will seem like a long post, but I have carefully categorized each section to make this new transition the least overwhelming as possible for you. I also want to preface this with saying that while I nursed my child and that was my own personal choice, I fully realize that there are those mamas who are unable to nurse, have low milk supplies that restrict them and those who simply choose not to. This is not a post from a judgmental stand point. This is simply my way of trying to help other mothers who can or choose to nurse their babies, but their babies have strong food allergies.

This is my first installment of The Garden Body and while this post can be for any person, including toddlers and children...I want to speak directly to nursing mamas this time or to those pregnant and thinking of nursing. Next time I will be speaking directly to mamas of toddlers and children.


Every mama has a different experience and a different story when it comes to feeding and nourishing their children. I'll try to make my story short. I prayed so hard for a flawless breast-feeding experience because that was something that I personally wanted to be able to do for my child so badly and the Lord granted me flawless...as far as the actual nursing went anyway. In the course of the first 6 months of her life through different issues, we discovered that my daughter was intolerant to any dairy and had a severe chicken egg allergy. When she was a baby, I couldn't even have pepper on something or it would give her gas...forget garlic and onion! So without exaggeration, I nursed her for a very long time without dairy, egg, spice...flavor! Now, with that being said I was able to very gradually add things back to my diet in gentle ways as she got older and it was ok. The chicken egg allergy persisted though. Many people who are allergic to chicken egg though are not to duck egg because it is a completely different protein. That was the case in our family and she tolerated duck egg just fine. Sooooo, we keep ducks!

Why would I do that to myself you might ask? Why would I deny myself so very many things in food and drink just to nurse? It's simple. She was an excellent nurser! From the moment she latched on, she was a champ when it came to nursing and I didn't want her to lose out on all of the organic and preservative-free nourishment I was giving her just because I had to cut some things out for quite a while. Even without those things in my diet, she was 18 pounds before she was even five months old...so, you can see she was FAR from being malnourished. In fact, we only started to see her ankles last year! It was a dietary sacrifice that I was personally happy to make because I didn't want to rob her of what she had come to rely on.


At 3 months old we thought she had eczema. It looked just like it! All over her body! It persisted for months and then finally one night she broke out in complete hives. It was the chicken egg all along. She wasn't a refluxy baby. She didn't spit up a lot, but boy, oh boy, did she cry. She cried ALL of the time. Bloody murder...like a banshee CRY! If she was awake, she was inevitably crying. No, really! She would only be held and be held a certain way. I could go on and on, but I won't. Suffice to say, it was HARD...it was EXHAUSTING...it was even worse with the food allergies, and thank the dear Lord for our pediatrician who suggested trying to cut out dairy even though she didn't show all signs of intolerance! Otherwise I probably wouldn't have cut out dairy! But I did, and about 10 after I did...she was a different baby as far as the screaming and intolerance went!

Dear mamas, if you have a newborn or infant that cries, don't just call it "colic"...it's not. It's something. Whether it's big or small...it's something. And please don't be offended, but I PERSONALLY don't believe in a baby being allergic to a mother's breastmilk. I firmly and 100% believe they can be easily be allergic to something IN it that the mother is eating or drinking or taking (since I know from personal experience), but a mother's milk is MADE FOR THEIR BABY and I just don't believe that a baby is allergic to it for no reason at all. There is a reason for everything...whether it is an obvious one or not.

Do you have a baby that cries? Do you have a baby that has skin issues? Trouble pooping? Trouble sleeping? If you're nursing then look to your milk first! There are very obvious suspects when it comes to food allergies in babies. Peanuts, egg, shellfish, dairy, gluten, preservatives.


Here are a few things to remember:

*COMMIT TO WHAT YOU KNOW YOU NEED TO TRY! If you don't put aside the normal cravings and think about getting in the game then it's going to be harder. Changing a diet is already an overwhelming task, but it doesn't' have to be...not much anyway. If you're nursing, then just remember that you are doing this for your baby's little digestive system that is not matured until after 2 years old. That's a lot of food and drink in two years and it needs to be the best to give them an amazing start! Diet does NOT mean that it's not delicious. I've taught myself to create and make amazing meals that are free of tons of things and we have liked them better than what we used to eat. Commit to it mama! YOU CAN DO IT!!! I PROMISE YOU CAN!!! I'm here for you and I've been through it too!!!

*YOU MUST READ LABELS! EVERY LABEL! Don't assume that the random can of organic chicken soup doesn't have dairy in it...or that the bread you're eating doesn't contain egg of some kind. It's actually incredibly hard to find things you love that don't contain one of something that you can't have!

*YOU CAN BE PICKY AT PARTIES AND EVENTS!! Take your own food or eat before hand! If it offends someone that you have to eat a certain way for a while then they can deal with that. You have a baby to feed! That comes first! It never ceased to amaze me how people would know that I couldn't have egg or dairy and then ask me if I wanted a slice of coconut cream pie. Cream? That's dairy. "It's not much!" They would say. I would tell them I can't have any and I'm sorry. "How about a cookie?" Well, I asked if it was made with egg. "Yeah, but just one and it's baked in it." Oh my. I brought my own food numerous times to events. My own organic hot dogs, my own homemade buns and organic mustard that didn't have garlic in it and my own dessert. You just do what you have to do!

*YOUR BABY GETS EVERYTHING THROUGH YOUR MILK...EVEN THE BAD STUFF! Everything you consume gets passed directly to your child. This is both a pro and a con. The pro is that if you are eating whole foods, healthy fats then your baby is also getting those amazing nutrients and vitamins and fats through you! That is the most rewarding of all! The con is that if you caved in and ran by McDonald's for a burger or nuggets, that are not only filled with chemicals and bi-parts and dyes, but it's loaded with MSG (monosodium glutamate) that can be harmful. While companies and the internet may say it's "naturally occurring" (and it is, but lots of harmful things can be "naturally occurring) it can cause physical issues in large doses and fast food contains LARGE doses. And guess what? Your baby just got every bit of it that you did. And while it's not healthy in any way shape or form for your own body, it's incredibly hard and possibly harmful on a tiny little body and tiny little digestive system that is NOT meant to consume those things.

*PROCESSED FOODS ARE CULPRITS! Preservatives are chemicals. If it's a processed food then it will have preservatives and often times, dye. What can these things do? There was once a family who had two children. The boy was severely ADHD (or so they thought) and was on incredible medications because he was uncontrollable. The girl was also "hyper-active" and had issues, but not nearly as bad as the boy. They were finally told by someone to try completely changing their lifestyle and diets...completely. Turns out the boy was allergic to gluten and red dye and the girl was severely allergic to dyes too. Once all of these things were taken out of their diets, it was DAY and NIGHT. They were no longer hyper-active. The boy was able to be off of all previous medications and the parents couldn't believe this miracle came from a diet change! Don't be fooled mamas...if you are nursing, then please just remember that your baby is also getting exactly what you consume.

This isn't about being on a soapbox, because I'm not on one. I'm a regular gal who used to eat junk food out the wazoo and finally figured it all out several years back that I was doing some pretty bad things for my body. I'm just so thankful that I figured it out before I got pregnant and started nursing!

If you need to nurse a baby with food allergies, I can help a bit...or I hope I can! I'm going to give you some wonderful ideas on how to feed yourself and your baby when you have to keep some allergies in mind! I will list a number of "staples" that I suggest keeping on hand and then some recipes as well! Not all of them are gluten-free, but many are.


MY STAPLES:

COCONUT OIL: In my opinion, this is a definite. Coconut oil is one of the healthiest saturated fats available and it contains properties that boost your baby's developing brain!  Keep Dr. Bronner's Fresh-Pressed and also Spectrum brand. The Spectrum is great when you want to use a coconut oil, but not get a coconut flavor along with it! When I had to be dairy-free I substituted butter entirely with coconut oils...mashed potatoes, biscuits, everything!

SAMI'S BAKERY MILLET AND FLAX BREAD: Thank goodness I discovered this amazing bread!!! Is it cheap? No. Is it worth it? Yes!! I am a bread girl. I have been since I was little. It's one of the hardest things I thought I'd have to give up because I couldn't find a good bread that didn't have some version of egg or milk in it without the extra crud too! Bingo! I found it! I do think this bread is best slightly toasted, but it's delicious! We still use it and bonus...it's gluten-free too! Check your local health food store to see if they carry it first, but if not you can order directly from Sami's! They also have the Lavash (flat breads) that makes amazing pizzas (you'll find a recipe later)!!!!  Visit them HERE!

HOMEMADE RICE MILK IS BEST, BUT IN A PINCH...RICE DREAM BRAND ORGANIC RICE MILK: I bake with this all of the time. It's amazing in oatmeal too! I love making my own milks, but I don't always have a homemade milk on hand at the very moment I want something specific to bake, so I do usually keep a Rice Dream in the fridge in case!! Please note that you can totally use homemade nut or non-dairy milks here!!

AVOCADOS: Another amazing fat and superfood! I use avocado for all kinds of things!

MUIR GLENN BRAND FIRE ROASTED TOMATOES: These come in a can and you can get them from the organic section at Kroger. They are perfect for adding to guacamole, mexi-dishes, pizzas and so much more!

DeBOLES RICE PENNE PASTA: A must for pasta lovers!!! I wanted a tasty pasta that didn't blow me up like a balloon like wheat did and this is truly yummy!

QUINOA: Pronounced (keen-wa), it's also a super food! Nutrients galore and very versatile!

NATURE'S PATH HOMESTYLE WAFFLES: You can find these in the frozen organic section of Kroger and not only are they gluten, egg and dairy-free, but they are seriously good!! Like, seriously!!!! I have tried some of the others and don't care for them as much, but we all LOVE the Homestyle ones!!! Find more info on their site HERE!

ORGANIC CASHEW BUTTER: A delicious alternative to peanut butter!!!!! So good on celery sticks to munch!! The Simple Truth Organic at Kroger is wonderful!

COUNTRY CHOICE BRAND ORGANIC OATMEAL: I will always choose organic over non-organic. Even if it's pricier, because to me, I would rather minimize the amount of gunk and extra yucks in our diet than not. Also, I'm very calculated about what I purchase each week, so I only purchase (on a specific grocery budget) what I know we will use that week.

NAYO (mayo substitute): I'm actually not a mayo person at all. The only time I want it or use it is with my delicious turkey sandwiches following Thanksgiving. But it just so happens that I was desperate one Thanksgiving in the midst of all of my allergy-free eating.  I had already successfully made an entire Thanksgiving feast for my family egg and dairy free, but I really wanted a turkey sandwich the way I liked them. Nayo isn't going to be just like spreading Dukes on your bread, but it's pretty darn tasty...especially when you really, really want it! Here's my gluten, dairy and egg-free Thanksgiving feast with all the fixin's! I wasn't about to let my dietary changes stop me from having a good meal!



JOAN OF ARC BRAND GOAT CHEESE: Yes, this is a dairy, but it's how I gradually added dairy back into my life and my baby tolerated it. Goat dairy is a different protein than cow, so often times you can use it instead, and this cheese is beyond delicious! I began making my own pizzas with it instead of regular cheese when I was nursing and even my husband loved it so much, we still use it on our pizzas and burgers and other yummy things!

ENJOY LIFE BRAND CHOCOLATE CHIPS: I almost passed out when I found these! Dairy-free chocolate chips that are just like chocolate chips!!! No difference at all!! Taste is amazing! I'll share my favorite recipe from them in a bit!

MY STAPLES FOR MEATS, FRUITS and VEGGIES:
First, I highly encourage going to a local farmer's market if you have one! Knowing where your meats, veggies and fruits come from is amazing and a relief. Find out if you have one near you through Local Harvest Org, HERE!

BISON: We have a local grass-fed bison farm and let me tell you, if you have never had a bison burger, you are missing out. When my hubby first asked me to try it, I will admit I felt weird. Bison? Like the bison on the plains that the native americans hunted? Why did it seem so odd to eat a bison burger but not a cow beef burger? Anyway, it's the most delicious, clean and tender meat! Best bison burgers I've had to date are the ones my husband smokes in our smoker!!! Oh my goodness!!!

PASTEUR-RAISED CHICKEN: I will never settle for store-bought chicken or meat again. If you can get it locally, through a farmer's market or health food store, then do it!! It's worth it!!! They are not given medications, antibiotics, etc and you actually get the good stuff your body needs from it! I love using a whole chicken and then putting some oil, salt and herbs on it for a tasty roasted meal! Here's an image of an herb chicken right before it goes into the oven!!



WILD-CAUGHT FISH OR SEAFOOD: Do NOT, I repeat do NOT get farm-raised fish at the store. They are given the cruddiest of the cruds to eat!!! At least wild-caught is well...wild!! Orange roughy isn't a cheap fish, but it is delicious. I make one package last all week with various meals or into the next week. Also, crab legs and scallops or shrimp are great options for the omegas you need...wild-caught, of course! They all contain amazing things that really only come from ocean life that we can benefit from. I'd go with the fish first though since some babies react to shellfish.

MARROW BONES: What the heck are marrow bones? These are bones from the cow that are cut in a way that the marrow can still be used from it. Sound gross? It's actually not! Marrow is so nutritious that it's even taken by cancer patients now to build their white cells...proven to build them I might add! It is high in fat though so you can only have it so much and so often, but you can roast the bones (I'll go into it later) and spread it on toast and then cook the leftover bones down in water and veggies to create a bone broth (also incredibly nourishing)! So good for baby!!! We get these through our farmer's market and at our local health food store!!

VEGGIES TO STOCK:

BRUSSEL SPROUTS
BUTTERNUT SQUASH
ZUCCHINI
SWEET POTATO
BROCCOLI
SPINACH
KALE
CELERY
CARROTS...OH LET'S FACE IT! ANY VEGGIE WOULD BE GREAT!!

FRUITS TOO!

Okay, so those are some of the staples I would recommend for your fridge and pantry so that you have them on hand all of the time and you don't have to think too far into the future when you need to make something!

RECIPES!

*SOME OF THESE RECIPES WILL BE GLUTEN-FREE, SOME EGG-FREE, ALL DAIRY-FREE, ETC* EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT WITH ALLERGIES SO I'VE INCLUDED SEVERAL OPTIONS! ALSO, SOME MAY HAVE SPICE IN THEM, BUT YOU CAN ELIMINATE THEM IF YOU KNOW YOUR BABY HAS GAS ISSUES WITH THEM LIKE MINE DID!

BREAKFAST


HOMESTYLE BISCUITS (EGG-FREE, DAIRY-FREE)
I've been making these biscuits since I was a kid. I thought I would have to completely eliminate them, but by putting in rice milk and coconut oil...they were actually even better than before! Lighter and healthier!

1 cup - Bob's Red Mill Unbleached All Purpose Flour
1 tsp - organic sugar
2 tsp - baking powder
1/4 tsp - salt
1/4 tsp - cream of tarter
1/4 cup - Spectrum brand coconut oil (won't taste like coconut)
1/3 cup - Rice Milk

Mix dry ingredients and then use a pastry cutter or your hands (my preference) to mix in the solid oil until you have a fine crumb mix. Add your rice milk and mix and then form into small biscuits and put on un-greased cookie sheet. Bake for around 10-15 minutes at 450 F.


CINNAMON TOAST (DAIRY, EGG & GLUTEN-FREE)

Sami's Bakery Millet & Flax Bread
Dr. Bronner's Coconut Oil
Organic Cinnamon and Sugar

Spread a thin layer of oil to the bread and add your toppings and then toast to a crisp!!


QUINOA BREAKFAST BOWL (DAIRY, EGG & GLUTEN-FREE)

1 cup - COOKED, warm quinoa
1/2 - 1 c - almond milk or rice milk (depending on how thick you want it)
2 tbsp - raw honey or organic maple syrup

Blend in blender until smooth and add to bowl. Top with shredded coconut, ground flax meal and or my favorite...sliced bananas!! Yum!! This one is power-packed! It's filling, delicious, and you get omegas, proteins, vitamins, potassium, energy, etc. You can even make the quinoa the night before. Just make a big batch and use a cup at a time through the week! Have it cold or heat it up!




PANCAKES & WAFFLES (GLUTEN & DAIRY-FREE)
WAFFLE: http://saraernst.blogspot.com/2016/03/blueberry-waffles-homemade-syrup-gluten.html
PANCAKE: http://saraernst.blogspot.com/2016/02/the-pancake-has-arrived-gluten-free.html





MY FAVORITE HOMEMADE BREAD! (EGG AND DAIRY-FREE) I've used this recipe for loaves, buns, rolls, cinnamon rolls, pizza dough...whatever! It's awesome!
http://craftykin.blogspot.com/2008/10/back-as-promised-with-some-finished.html


LUNCH, DINNERS and SIDES

PIZZAS!!!! (GLUTEN & EGG-FREE & COW DAIRY-FREE)

Sami's Bakery Millet & Flax Lavash (flat breads)
Joan of Arc brand Goat Cheese
Muir Glenn brand Organic Fire Roasted Tomatoes
Plainsville Turkey Pepperoni (seriously just like regular pepperoni)
Whatever other toppings you like or can have (kalamata olives, oregano, basil, mushroom, spinach, etc)

Spread the goat cheese on first to create the bottom layer then build it. Bake at 350F for around 20 minutes.


CHICKEN NUGGETS (GLUTEN & DAIRY-FREE)
http://saraernst.blogspot.com/2016/03/chicken-nuggets-whole-family-will-love.html

UNSPICY CHILI (DAIRY, EGG & GLUTEN-FREE)

1 pound of Bison, Beef or Venison
1 can of Muir Glenn Organic Fire Roasted Tomatoes
1 cup of water
1 tbsp of oregano
1 tsp of sea salt
1 tbsp of arrowroot powder or cornstarch to thicken if needed at the end)

Brown the meat and then add the other ingredients. Now, if you know your baby can tolerate a little spice then feel free to add half of an onion, one clove of garlic, 1 tbsp of chili powder...but if you're like I was and can't do those then the simple version is still tasty!



HOMESTYLE CORNBREAD (GLUTEN & DAIRY-FREE)
http://saraernst.blogspot.com/2016/03/homestyle-cornbread-gluten-free-dairy.html


ORANGE ROUGHY (FISH)

Put bits of Dr. Bronner's Coconut Oil on top of the fish, fresh lemon juice and some sea salt. Bake on top of tin foil in a pan (no mess) for around 15 minutes at 400F


ROASTED VEGGIES

Cut brussel sprouts in half, cut chunks of sweet potato, broccoli, beet, etc
Pour just enough Olive Oil over it to cover all of the veggies in oil by mixing it with your hands. Sprinkle some sea salt on top and roast at 400 F for 25-30 minutes! Stir every now and then. SOOOOO GOOD!!!

SWEET TATER FRIES

Cut it into long chunks like fries and add enough olive oil to mix them with your hands and some salt. Roast at 400 for around 20-25 minutes! Stir every now and then. Add fresh parmesan cheese if your baby can have dairy

ROASTED RED TATERS (THESE HAVE SPICE)

About 3-4
Cut them into small chunks. Add olive oil, sea salt, smoked paprika, freshly ground pepper, garlic powder (about 1/4 tsp each). Mix with your hands and roast at 400 for around 25-30 minutes, stirring every now and then.

PORTABELLO MUSHROOMS

2 large portabello mushrooms

Drizzle a little olive oil on the top. Then add crumbled goat cheese. If your baby can tolerate spice then I highly suggest adding some green onion and fresh jalapeƱo pepper to your cheese before crumbling!

Roast at 400 for around 15 or so minutes until hot!

UNSPICY GUACOMOLE (I LOVE GUACOMOLE, BUT I COULD ADD ANYTHING TO IT HARDLY WHEN I WAS NURSING, BUT A BIT OF SALT AND LEMON GO A LONG WAY WHEN YOU NEED IT TO!)

1 ripe avocado
half of a lemon squeezed
1/4 tsp of sea salt

Blend until creamy!
add hot sauce or onion, etc if your baby can tolerate it!

HUMMUS
Believe it or not, my favorite hummus isn't homemade. I just can't seem to get it creamy enough. But I love a brand from Kroger called Fountain Of Health Traditional Hummus. It does have garlic in it so beware...but other than that it is wonderful and healthy! Garden of Eatin' brand corn chips are my favorites!

OTHER DINNER IDEAS

BRATS, SAUERKRAUT, BREAD AND GOAT CHEESE

BISON BURGERS ON MILLET & FLAX TOAST WITH SWEET POTATO FRIES OR ROASTED TATERS

MARROW & BREAD 
http://leitesculinaria.com/78928/recipes-roasted-bone-marrow.html

SKEWERS ON THE GRILL (TENDERLOIN OF BISON OR VENISON OR BEEF OR CHICKEN WITH YOUR CHOICE OF VEGGIES) 
This is an excellent way to get in some meat and veggies during the warm spring and summers days!

DESSERT

CHOCOLATE CHIP BLONDIES!! (THIS ONE IS EGG, GLUTEN & DAIRY-FREE AND TOTALLY WORTH IT IF YOU NEED A CHOCOLATE FIX)
http://enjoylifefoods.com/decadent-blondies/


CHOCOLATE PUDDING (EGG, DAIRY & GLUTEN-FREE)

1 ripe and soft avocado
2 tbsp - Rice Milk
1 tbsp - Raw Cacao
2 tbsp - Raw Honey

Use a small processor to mix together until very, very creamy....which is why you need a very soft and ripe avocado for this one. Taste and tweak if you need it more chocolately or more sweet and you can also add more Rice Milk if you don't want it as thick!


EVERY OCCASION CAKE (GLUTEN, EGG & DAIRY-FREE)
http://saraernst.blogspot.com/2016/03/every-occasion-cake-gluten-dairy.htm



IN CONCLUSION

Dear friends, if you have made it all the way to the bottom of this than I must say one thing: THANK YOU...you must care enough to read so much about a different way of eating for yourself and your baby.

Let me end with one last word of encouragement. If you are a mama to be and want to eat in a different way or a nursing mama who has a baby with severe food allergies...you are NOT alone. I and many other mamas have been there too! But YOU CAN DO IT!! If you are able to nurse, genuinely want to keep nursing and have the drive to change your diet to accommodate your baby...YOU CAN DO IT! I did and I do not regret a single moment of it. In fact, I'm very grateful in so many ways because it opened my eyes up to a number of new foods that I never would've thought to try otherwise. It made me WANT to create my own recipes to accommodate my growing toddler in a healthy and un-crudded way. It was so hard at first to change because as a nursing mama, I was hungry ALL of the time and I felt as though I couldn't eat anything in the beginning of the diet transition...I was wrong and I am forever grateful for that necessary change. YOU CAN DO IT MAMA!!! I'M HERE FOR YOU!!!

May your endeavors and your milk be blessed and abundant! xoxo - Sara

No comments: