Sara's Favorite October Picks!

Friday, March 4, 2016

TURN A DIAPER BOX INTO A LITTLE COUPE!

Dear friends,

Well, I was on it again...the cardboard war path that is! There is an episode of Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood where they make cardboard cars and wear them while they run and around and play. My little one said it looked so fun and I thought..."Aha! Cardboard car...here we come!" I'm convinced there is little you can't make with cardboard, some craft paint and a little glue and tape.


Here's a short run down of the items I used and how:

-An old diaper box (the car body and extra pieces like the tires)
-A small piece of cellophane (the windshield)
-Two empty ribbon spools (the headlights...you can see I had two totally different spools)
-Craft paint
-Scrapbook paper (cut out for the doors and pet carrier)
-Ribbon (the straps)
-Masking tape (I did use it to keep some things together, but mostly to give a nice outline to the car)
-And of course...scissors and glue.
-I printed the license plate from a wonderful site that offered them free! Find yours HERE! Thanks     Pixelberry Pie!

I won't write out an entire step-by-step on the car because I think you'll see what I did, and where based on the item list and images. I used the widest part of the box and cut a rectangle out of the top and the bottom for her to fit through. And then we started painting!! She picked out the paint colors she wanted for her car as well as the ribbon she wanted.


Everything, including the windshield is just taped or glued together. I cut a long slit in the top of the car to fit the windshield into.


No car is complete without a way to take your pet along with you! I used a tiny cardboard box I found and glued a neutral scrapbook paper around it and taped it to outline it. I then glued the entire box onto the back of the car. The license plate (which I LOVE) is just printed out on regular paper and glued at the edges only so that the glue wouldn't bleed into the ink. A piece of a paper towel roll served as the muffler which I just pushed into a hole a made for it.


Mis-matched spools for headlights! Haha! I call it "adding character!" 


I started to make a steering wheel, but with the size of the box, I decided to do the windshield instead.
I just poked holes for the ribbon so it would criss cross in the back...it seemed to stay best on her that way. 


Get a box, make a car, road trip with a pet!

No comments: