Sara's Favorite October Picks!

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

HOMESTYLE CORNBREAD (GLUTEN-FREE & DAIRY-FREE)

Dear friend,

I love to make my own recipes and I love to have success...especially when it comes to a gluten-free and dairy-free option. NOW...I do use butter most times in my cornbread because my daughter can tolerate grass-fed butter and I just adore the buttery taste. However...the butter CAN be substituted with coconut oil. In this case, since it's not a dessert, I prefer for it to not have a coconut taste to it, so I use Spectrum brand coconut oil. The expeller pressed version of this brand is an excellent substitute for butter and it does NOT render a coconut flavor since it's not fresh pressed. This is a down-home, country-style version that is dense, but moist and is neither too salty, nor too sweet! Enjoy my recipe!!




**VERY IMPORTANT - I USE DUCK EGG WHICH RENDERS A MUCH LIGHTER AND FLUFFIER BAKED GOOD THAN CHICKEN EGG** USING CHICKEN EGG MIGHT NOT BE THE VERY SAME**

HOMESTYLE CORNBREAD (GLUTEN-FREE & DAIRY-FREE)

1 cup - Finely ground cornmeal
1 tbsp - Baking Powder
1 tsp - Salt
1/2 tsp - Organic Sugar 
(use 1 full tsp if you like it on the sweet side)
 2/3 cup - Rice Milk (plain, not vanilla)
2 - DUCK EGGS OR 4 CHICKEN EGGS
1 tbsp - Butter or Spectrum Coconut Oil


Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and melt the butter or coconut oil in a 9"x5" loaf pan (I use glass)
Mix all other ingredients in a bowl and then add the batter to the melted butter or oil and give it a stir so that it marbles into the batter.

Bake for around 20 minutes and then use a toothpick to see if the center is done. You don't want it dry, so if it's not quite done at 20 minutes then just keep checking every 2 minutes until done. Every oven bakes a little differently.

No comments: